- White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emaneul cleans out his toenails with a toothpick.
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Oscar-nominated director of 'Babel', jiggles his leg up and down in meetings.
- Atsutoshi Nishida, President of the Toshiba Corporation, keeps his wallet in the breast pocket of his jacket.
- Sir Nicholas Macpherson, Permanent Secretary to the Treasury, does the Everyman crossword in his bath on Sunday mornings.
- Carl-Henric Svanberg, CEO of Ericcson Telecommunications, absent-mindedly pulls hairs from his moustache when thinking.
- Jaideep Bose, Editor in Chief of the Times of India, empties his pocket change each night into a clay dish his daughter made at school.
- Admiral Vladimir Vysotsky, Commander in Chief of the Russian Navy, sleeps with the light on.
Monday, 23 March 2009
Posted by John Finnemore at 2:50 pm
Tuesday, 17 March 2009
Posted by John Finnemore at 4:33 pm
Monday, 9 March 2009
Today I opened a book of mine I haven't looked at for a few years, and out fluttered the number 38 bus ticket I had used as a bookmark. And immediately I was hit by a wave of nostalgia - Oh yes! The 38! I used to take that all the time! And just think, the last time I closed this book, I was sitting on the 38, and now here I am. Ah me, where are the snows of yesteryear, etc etc.
Tuesday, 3 March 2009
Posted by John Finnemore at 4:32 pm
Sunday, 1 March 2009
Today, Marianne's computer told her it had 'experienced a minor lapse in fidelity'. Which sounds to me more like a senior civil servant trying to weasel his way out of trouble with his wife: 'Listen, darling, we were both drunk, it meant nothing... but to be perfectly blunt with you, I have experienced a minor lapse in fidelity'.