Thursday 31 August 2023

Brigham Young is sure Anthony Trollope is a miner.

 The Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope, on a tour of the United States, passed through Utah, and decided to drop in on Brigham Young. It did not go well. From Trollope's autobiography:

"I did not achieve great intimacy with the great polygamist of Salt Lake City. [...] He received me in his doorway, not asking me to enter, and inquired whether I was not a miner. When I told him that I was not a miner, he asked me whether I earned my bread. I told him I did. "I guess you're a miner," said he. I again assured him I was not. "Then how do you earn your bread?" I told him I did so by writing books. "I'm sure you're a miner," said he. Then he turned upon his heel, went back into the house, and closed the door."

Alt text: Anthony Trollope. Looking, as usual, exactly like a miner. 


5 comments:

Renske said...

Haha! Staunchly believing something to be so, despite being presented with information to the contrary, yes - that checks out for someone whose core business is religion.

Ps. Speaking of "religion", I just watched Good Omens Series 2 Episode 3. Crowley's Bentley turning yellow ... brilliant!!

Tealin said...

I mean ... that ... Utah hasn't changed AT ALL.

SylviaHolly said...

Funny how he didn't appreciate a stranger knocking on his door

v.edgy said...

Wonderful. And in preparation for unwelcome guests, and maybe some welcome ones, I'm going to practise turning upon my heel. Not convinced I'll use the "I'm sure you're a miner." line, but who knows...

Anonymous said...

Fresh Fullz Available for Sell

=Telegram @killhacks/@leadsupplier
=ICQ 752822040 / @killhacks
=Email hacksp007 @ DNMX.org

SSN DOB DL
CC WITH CVV
High CS PROS
Dumps With Pin Track 101 & 202
Business EIN Fullz
DL Scan Front & Back
Fullz for KYC|PUA|UI|TAX RETURN
SMTP'S|RDP'S|C-PANELS|SHELLS|WEB-MAILERS
BRUTES
Carding Methods
Loan Methods
Scam pages & Scripting
Office365 Logins & Leads

& many other stuff available
Valid & legit Info
Serious buyers will welcome

@killhacks/@leadsupplier - Telegram
752822040/@killhacks - ICQ
hackssp007 @ DNMX.org - Email